Healthcare Database Analysis
Government Database Analysis
To construct a defendable forecast, you first need well-documented information about your market. Such information may include disease or procedure incidence and prevalence, diagnosis rates, patient segmentation, and treatment patterns. Objective Insights can research these important forecast assumptions, providing you with a targeted database and epidemiology analysis.
Objective Insights has considerable experience working with various government health databases that can help you answer these questions. For some applications, these databases are far more cost-effective than purchasing equivalent data from organizations like IMS or Source Healthcare Analytics (SHA) and may offer data unavailable from these commercial sources. Some of the general purpose databases we work with include:
• National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (NAMCS) –office-based physician survey similar to IMS NDTI or Physician Drug and Diagnosis Audit (PDDA)
• National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (NHAMCS) – extension of NAMCS includes hospital outpatient clinics and emergency departments
• National Hospital Discharge Survey (NHDS) – captures hospital inpatient conditions and treatments provided
• National Survey of Ambulatory Surgery (NSAS) – provides data on surgical procedures performed in the outpatient setting
• National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) – comprehensive semi-longitudinal survey, useful for determining epidemiology for some conditions
• Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS) – semi-longitudinal survey similar to NHANES, includes information on costs for physician visits, procedures, and prescription drugs
• Medicare Current Beneficiary Survey (MCBS) –collects data on medical expenditures for the Medicare population
• Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) – provides cost, diagnosis, and treatment data for inpatients
We are also familiar with several different public and commercial oncology databases including:
We can help you interpret these databases and incorporate the information into your product forecasts.
Of course, we can also help you analyze IMS and SHA data, including surveys (e.g., NDTI, PDDA), sales data, and prescription audits. We are familiar with the use of IMS Dataview, as well as IMS MIDAS international data.
Patient Population Analysis
Objective Insights also provides custom epidemiology analysis. We research the medical literature and some of the databases mentioned above to help clarify the patient population of interest, whether encompassing the entire disease or certain sub-populations. We are already familiar with the epidemiology of many therapeutic areas, including oncology, mental and neurological disorders, and cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases. We can research the epidemiology for any therapeutic area of interest.